Curtainly Happy

Wednesday, August 8, 2012


I mentioned in this post that I made a trip to IKEA last week. Well, I happen to stumble upon the curtain section and it got me thinking. I have been wanting white curtains for our master bedroom, but recently putting curtains in the living room and dining room meant the budget for curtains was limited.

That is when the winding paths of IKEA led me to the wondrous land of curtains; where curtains are plentiful, beautiful, and within budget! Woo hoo!

My only problem is that our ceilings are 10 feet high and you can hardly ever find pre-made curtains the correct length. And, if you do, they are so expensive you might as well get your own made (which is what we did in the living room and dining room!). I prefer to hang my curtains from the ceiling to the floor. It tends to make the room feel bigger because the walls feel elongated.

That day my luck must have been with me! I came across the perfect set, yes set...as in two per package, of stark white curtains. Eeeekkk (That was me shrieking...literally. I was like a kid in a candy store. I know, I'm lame, but once you buy a house, you will understand. Homeowners, can ya back me up on that?!)!! To add to my joy, each curtain panel was 54 inches wide and 118 inches long! The perfect length. But wait...that's not all (in the voice of a salesman...)...the set was, ready for this, $29.99! Twenty-nine-ninety-nine. Yes, you read that correctly. That is half the price of what I paid for just my curtain rod in the living room. To say the least, I was thrilled.

Moving on, I had to find a curtain rod. Now, in my recent experience with curtains, when you want a rod that stretches at least 120 inches or more, you are going to pay between 40-60 bucks, depending on what style you like. But not in heaven at IKEA! I snatched up a rod that stretches up to 152 inches for $4.99. I was in shock, and quite skeptical to be honest. Would a five dollar rod really look nice, and hold my curtains up?

The answer is yes! Along with the rod I got two wall mounts and a package of two decorative rod ends (I'm sure that is not what they are called...I just don't know the technical name.) for around 10 smack-a-roos.

Here is the rod end thingy...



Here is the naked windows before they got clothed by curtains.
It has been almost a week since the monumental shopping trip to IKEA and I finally hung the curtains, all by myself! And without further ado...




No comments:

Post a Comment