DIY Starburst Mirror - Under $5!

Sunday, September 30, 2012


Has anyone else been eyeing a starburst mirror? Like this one, or this one, or this one?? I love almost every starburst mirror I lay eyes on, but I don't love the prices. That's what got me thinking (and googling!) about how to make a starbusrt mirror on a budget.

After some research, I decided on a game plan and went for it!

Materials:

- 10' round mirror from Michael's/Hobby Lobby
- 2 packages of wooden skewers (100ct each)
- Glue gun and LOTS of glue sticks
- This template

First, start out by cutting out the template and super gluing it on the back of the mirror.



Count out 16 skewers and mark them 1' from the tip. Some of the skewers may not be straight, so just eyeball it...if it look crooked, throw it aside and get a new one! There are plenty of skewers!


Once you have the 16 skewers marked, line the black mark up with the line/edge of the template and start gluin'! By the way, the template will not cover the entire mirror. Just center it on the mirror and glue it down. You can see on the picture below that the template does not reach the edges. Don't be afraid of using the glue gun! Mine was covered in hot glue! 


The discoloration you see on the template is from my super glue...



Once you have the 16 skewers glued down, it is time to fill it in! Depending on what type of starburst you want depends on the pattern you will follow.

I went with seven skewers in between each skewer that was already glued down. I laid the seven skewers down in a 'V'-like pattern of: short skewer in the middle, then the two on either side were a little longer...and I went from there...it is honestly however you like it!


See below how there is one short skewer in the middle, then it goes up on either side? You may have to cut some of the skewers in order to cram them all in a section.


And of course my trusty sidekick was there for moral support. Yes, I had just vacuumed that rug. 



When I said you will use a lot of glue, I meant you will use a lottttt of glue.


After I finished gluing all my skewers on I let it sit over night. In the morning I took it into the garage to get a fresh coat of silver spray paint! I covered the mirror with newspaper.



Ta-daaa! And there she hangs! (Oh, and is that a new headboard, you ask? Hmmm, I DIY'd that this weekend as well! Details on the headboard later this week!)



Isn't she lovely?!My husband was seriously impressed...as was I! Don't you "LOVE" that art? (More details on that as well..in a later post!)


So now for the budget breakdown. Hold onto your britches because it gets intense.

- Mirror $4.99 with a 40% off coupon: $3.00
- 2 packages of skewers at $.97 a piece: $1.94
- Already had the glue and glue gun
- GRAND TOTAL: $4.94

I know, you're amazed, right?!? Yah, me too! All day I have been in awe that I finally have a starburst mirror for under five bucks. Ahhh...I'm in love :)

This weekend I was on a DIY craze. This whole week will be full of projects that dominated me I dominated this weekend! "LOVE" art, nail head trim headboard, canvas art, and painting pumpkins! Oh, and did I mention it was all done on a major budget?! Stay tuned!

*Project inspiration from Under the Table Dreaming blog

16 comments:

  1. ok i just ran across your blog! i am super impressed with this diy, that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krystal! I love it, and the price :)

      -Sarah

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this DIY! Fantastic!
    ♡ Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexi!! It adds a special'glitter' to the room ;)

      -Sarah

      Delete
  3. Oooh such a good one, and a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great looking! I may need to try it myself somewhere in our house...How did you hang it on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use 10" or 12" skewers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 inch. I don't even think 10 inch was an option, but you could use either! The 10 inch would just make it smaller.

      Delete
  7. Stopping by from your guest post today and this mirror is amazing! I am pinning it and am definitely going to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this mirror tonight! Love it! Thank you so much for the tutorial, so awesome. One question...how did you hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sarah! This is amazing! I love it!!! Especially for $5! Do you think you could tell me the dimensions of it?! I really wanna make one and want to make sure it'll for the spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just measured and it has a diameter at the widest point of 32". You can see where it is in our new house and how it compares in size to our desk: http://tuckerup.blogspot.com/2014/04/house-tour-girly-guest-bedroom.html

      Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love this DIY, and that style of mirror! I'm thinking about making it, but how do you hang it on the wall?? I have old plaster walls, so I'm worried about that! Thanks. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super light weight so I am sure it would be just fine! I need to update this post bc people always have the same question. I hung it with a teeny tiny one of these

      http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-20-lb-Steel-Sawtooth-Ring-Hangers-with-Nails-3-Pack-50202/100164976?N=5yc1vZc2cu

      I basically nailed the tiny nails into the dried hot glue on the back of the mirror then hung it on a nail in the wall!

      Hopefully that helps!

      Delete
  11. I've been thinking about making one of these, but in the tutorials I read it seemed like it would be such a pain to get all of the skewers evenly spaced. That template should be really helpful!

    ReplyDelete